Derek Jeter announces retirement following 2014 season

Derek+Jeter

Derek Jeter‘s days as a Yankee are now numbered.

According to Jeter’s agent Casey Close, Jeter is announcing his retirement following the 2014 season. Jeter posted a statement on Facebook earlier this afternoon, stating that he was 100% certain that 2014 would be his final year playing professional baseball.

Jeter’s retirement follows Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte‘s retirement last season, ending the era of the Core Four. Jeter’s fellow Core Four member Jorge Posada retired following the 2011 season.

Although Jeter and Close have confirmed the information, it is not official as the Yankees have not heard about it as of yet.

Jeter has spent his entire career with the Yankees, winning five World Series Championships (1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2009) in the process.

Update:

Derek Jeter has spoken to Hal Steinbrenner and it is Yankees official that Jeter will retire.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Derek Jeter announces retirement following 2014 season

1. SkinnyMikeAxisa says:

Can this mean that the Yankees make an offer to Stephen Drew to replace Jeter in 2015 ?

Anyway, thank you Derek for the past two decades of great play, class and sportsmanship. You will be missed but never ever forgotten…Well done, sir

• My guess is that's why Boras has put it out there that Drew wants a multi-year deal with an opt-out clause after 1 year. That way he can play for the Yankees and show his value in the first year and then can opt-out and hold their feet to the fire during the offseason.

• Yankees fan says:

That is a good idea but there is one problem Rameriz wants to play for the Dodgers he said and I quote ( I want to be a Dodger for life).

• Mike Sommer says:

I'd rather wait and not sign Drew. I kind of like Al Leiter's comments on the MLB network about going after Hanley Ramirez, who becomes a free agent after 2014.

• Mike Sommer says:

Thanks Derek, for a wonderful career. I'll cheer you on this summer for not just the game but for a great career. Go out with a bang. Since I expect #6 to be retired on Old-Timer's Day, just before Torre is inducted into the HOF, and #2 to be retired at the end of 2014, that will leave no numbers between 1 and 10 available.

2. Yankees fan says:

If they sign Stephen Drew now he can play third and then next year go back to as.

3. Michael R says:

Honestly I'm so glad that he is going out with his dignity intact. A great ballplayer and a class act..

4. hotdog says:

echoing Michael's thoughts, we are so very fortunate to have such a great ballplayer represent the New York Yankees for all these years…now I have to go tell my kids Jeter is retiring…

5. Tanned Tom says:

Although we may not have realized it, Jeter will be looked back on as the face of baseball for the last 20 years, the anti-steroid superstar.

• I think we realize it. I was talking about it on Twitter this morning and there was an ESPN article written about the subject a few years ago. That's where, I think, the term originated.

6. Yankee fan says:

Awesome career! Sad to see him retire ,but he deserves to start his after baseball life now.
    He is a player who put his career ahead of everything else and it showed on and off the field.
    I am happy to say he was my favorite player and my kids also. That being said let's lock down Drew ss is a hard position to fill. See Yankees team prior to Jeter.

7. Yankees fan says:

Sad day in one way but happy in another Jeter had a fantastic and is one if the best in baseball.

8. Yankeesfan22 says:

I typed That one as sorry was just calling myself yankees fan didnt even realize used by you already . I will put 22 after mine from now on my sons hockey jersey number.