So what’s next for A-Rod?

Alex Rodriguez 7

On Friday, Alex Rodriguez dismissed his case against Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, finally accepting his 162-game suspension. So now that Rodriguez is officially slated to come back in 2015–what does he do next?

Start Mending Relationships?

Rodriguez has all but burned the bridges between Major League Baseball, the New York Yankees and his “brothers” in the league. Rodriguez stated he has considered going into the world of broadcasting post-baseball, but it would seem unlikely unless he apologizes for his actions. It’s uncertain whether Rodriguez will ever be in good graces with the Yankees or his teammates again, but the truth is the Yankees need him and they are willing to wait until 2015 to see if he can still play third base at the age of 40. If Rodriguez does plan on mending his relationship with the Yankees, here’s some sound advice for him: drop the lawsuit against the Yankees MD. Trying to mend fences doesn’t include taking your employer to court.

Work Towards 2015

With Rodriguez not being able to play this season, this would now be a good time for him to mentally and physically prepare himself for the 2015 season. Rodriguez could find a league to play in for 2014, but he can’t go to Japan since Japan honors Major League Baseball suspensions. To keep it short and sweet, Rodriguez needs to play some form of baseball this year if he has¬†any chance of being a productive player next season.

Retirement?

It’s an option for everyone else, but it’s not an option for A-Rod. Rodriguez wants his money from the Yankees and loves the game of baseball, despite doing more harm than good in the last couple of years. However, it’s still an option.

So this mini-chapter in the Alex Rodriguez may have ended but the story is far from over. The Yankees still have Rodriguez until 2017 and Major League Baseball won’t be able to get rid of Alex Rodriguez very quickly.

This entry was posted in Editorial and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to So what’s next for A-Rod?

1. Frank Tenente says:

Fuck a rod

2. Yankees fan says:

Plz watch your language.

3. D. Squires says:

He went to the dance and now is paying for the music. I'm sure he will mend fences during the months ahead and will be welcomed back to the Yankees at 3b. Let's hope that other players at this level learn from this and maintain respect for MLB.

4. JosephNYY says:

A-Rod will never play another game in a Yankee uniform again in my humble opinion.

5. Mister D says:

I want to like ARod. I really do. He loves the game, he seems to be very good to young players when they join the team, he seems to really want to do well and be loved. But he's a screw up who can't get his head right, and always seems to make the wrong decisions (whether or not its because he is getting bad advice doesn't matter – he chooses his advisors, he chooses to listen).

I would like nothing more than to have this become a story of redemption. I don't care about his money – he has more than he'll ever need. I don't care about his records – they're not getting much better and will always be tainted. But I would like it if he could continue in the game, could eventually show up in a ballpark without being booed, pop in at MLBTV without us changing the channel. I don't want him to become a Barry Bonds or a Pete Rose, confined to the sports' fringes. But whether he can pull this off or not is entirely up to him, and it starts with him coming to terms with what he's done and being honest about it.

6. Michael R says:

An apology for using and lying would be nice but I won't hold my breath. His ego will probably prevent him from "fessing up."

7. Claudia says:

Rodriguez is still a good player. He definitely should not retire and start preparing to get in the game again.

8. relic says:

A-Rod is not "still a good player," unless by "good" you mean "mediocre and injury prone."

• hotdog says:

he's good just will never be the Arod that's worth $20 mil plus…the key will be, will he be good enough to play in 2015…maybe, maybe not…he needs to make the team in spring training…nothing will be guaranteed for Arod but I hope he makes it…

9. Yankees fan says:

I would like to see A Rod come back I mean come on hasn't every one made mistakes at one point in there life? I just wish he never lied in the first place so he wouldn't be in this mess.

• Yankees fan says:

No Iam not a moron just like I don't curse on a public cite if you hate A Rod so much just say I hate A Rod not drop the F bomb and thanks for the apology.

10. olie says:

Unless the Yanks make a move for a 3rd baseman u may all be wishing he was playing" this" year!

11. Frank Tenente says:

Let me apologies for the f bomb it will never happen agin if I ever post. It's just hard to understand the state off affairs in this new world of lies. What are you teaching your kids it's ok to take drugs ,lie cheat obstruct justice distorty evidence sue your employer and major league basebal. Then say I'm sorry and let me continue to suck the cash out of our team. If that's the case I dont want any of it. Stand up for this team it's the gratest sports frachises in the world.

• Pah-leeze. A-rod is hardly the only player, or only Yankee, to have taken steroids (You must have missed that he didn't test positive and the guy that sold him the drugs said that testing is a joke). Francisco Cervelli was caught up in the same bust, but we don't get this kind of fake outrage over him. Your insults hurled in the name of this fake outrage are unacceptable.

12. hotdog says:

I'm hoping Arod comes back and contributes in 2015…we got him on the payroll for 3 more years…he pays his dues and comes back to play…not Arod of old but maybe someone in 2015 who can hit 20hr, 75 rbi's while batting .275…i'd take that productivity from Arod in 2015 and although I might be dreaming, it's not out of the realm of possibilities…in the end, Arod did some stupid stuff, tarnished his image but will have paid for his discretions…

13. hotdog says:

by the way, looking forward to 2014…keep these great articles coming…hd

14. Bronx_Knight says:

Newark Bears for 2014, a la Ricky Henderson? Or maybe he can come down to South Jersey and play for the Camden Riversharks; Campbell Field is a lovely little ballpark with a fantastic view of the Philly skyline.

15. Bronx_Knight says:

OK, the Newark Bears seem to be defunct. In the NYC metropolitan area, there's still the Bridgeport Bluefish, Somerset Patriots, and Long Island Ducks, all in the independent Atlantic League. Playing for any of these teams would keep A-Rod in shape and in the NYC media spotlight.

16. Bronx_Knight says:

However, I suspect that A-Rod's megalomaniacal ego will preclude him from playing independent, minor league baseball with a bunch of (other) hacks, has-beens, and wanna-bes.
    Since A-Rod has more money than King Midas, my guess is he will set up his own training facility somewhere and keep in shape on his own.

17. Bronx_Knight says:

Maybe A-Rod can join Dennis Rodman on his next trip to North Korea.

18. Legally, the Yanks owe him $61million. Quite a tidy sum to simply write off. If he plays in any organized league in 2014, it would have to be with the Yanks blessing. Why not let him play in the Atlantic League or Australia (for example) and let him learn some First Base in addition to 3rd? Since they have to pay him anyway, there is potential he can come back in 2015 as a part-time corner infielder/DH. The Yanks are on the hook for the money and why should AROD settle for a dime less than the money he is owed? His CONTRACT is insured. If he hurts himself and can't play again, he will still get all money BUT the Yanks will only be on the hook for 20% of the money left on his contract, Lloyds of Lubbuck or whoever the insurance company is will be footing the bill for 80% of that $61Mil.

• A-Rod can play in independent leagues. He can't play in Japan or other leagues that recognize MLB's suspension though. The Long Island Ducks would certainly be a possibility although I am not holding my breath.

• Rob–I know he would not be eligable to play in Japan, Taiwan or South Korea as all 3 have working agreements with MLB. As of this year, Australia also fell into this category. He could play in England, New Zealand and the South Pacific Islands. The quality of play in those places is somewhere between high A and AA ball, roughly the same as Independent Leagues here. I tend to agree with you that it is unlikely he will play organized ball this summer. I'd like to hope he stays clean as I understand he will continue to be tested, keeps himself in shape, stays out of the limelight and comes back in 2015. He does truly love the game so I do actually think he will come back contrite. He wants a broadcasting career when his playing days are done. I think we'll see, phony or not, AROD reinventing himself.