Yankees pitchers and catchers reported earlier this morning to George Steinbrenner Field in Tampa and they all got down to work. Here were some of the notes from Day 1 of Spring Training (So far):
– CC Sabathia came into camp weighing 275 pounds, the least he’s weighed since his days with the Cleveland Indians. Sabathia focused on muscle strength this offseason and believed his poor 2013 season had to do with losing muscle along with losing weight. It also didn’t help he had a shortened offseason due to elbow surgery. Sabathia says he feels like his old self, which is good news. Now, let’s see if it translates into games.
– Brian McCann and Austin Romine were in the cage today with Kevin Long. McCann addressed the media (there will be notes on that later today) saying he spent a lot of the offseason looking at tape of the Yankees pitchers to get a feel on what they do on the mound.
– David Robertson also spoke to the media (notes will be up on that later today as well), discussing he would like to be more efficient and throw strikes this spring to prepare himself for the ninth inning.
– Derek Jeter took batting practice today (and hit a BP home run!). Jeter scheduled his retirement press conference to Wednesday at 11:30 a.m. It will be held at the Pavillion.
Now onto my favorite part: Locker Assignments!
– David Robertson will keep his old locker, which was expected.
– Shawn Kelley got Andy Pettitte‘s old locker and Dellin Betances was assigned a locker close to CC Sabathia. The wall Sabathia is on is usually full of pitching veterans and pitchers that have a good chance to break camp with the team. Vidal Nuno and Preston Claiborne are both on that wall.
– Joe Girardi might do a press conference today if his 3 p.m. flight is on time. If not, it will most likely be pushed back until tomorrow.