Team workouts began today and everything was encouraging for the Yankees. No one grabbed anything, no injuries were reported, so all and all it was a good day. It was also an interesting day for Masahiro Tanaka, who was followed by the media everywhere he went. He threw a bullpen, ran four laps and had a press conference–all with the media watching. Francisco Cervelli believes the attention for Tanaka will diminish once the position players arrive next week.
“He’s not the only player that makes $100 Million here.” Cervelli said.
Here are some more notes from Spring Training today”
– The position players aren’t at camp yet (except for Derek Jeter) but their lockers were full with equipment, including their Spring Training jerseys. Jeter, Brett Gardner, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Beltran, Eduardo Nunez, Brendan Ryan, Kelly Johnson, Mark Teixeira, Alfonso Soriano and Ichiro Suzuki all have jersey’s in their locker for when they show up to camp. Brendan Ryan didn’t have a jersey as of yet and he’s not the only non-catcher position player to not have one.
– A majority of pitchers threw sides this morning after Spring Training orientation. Here were the list of sides today:
– The four main starters (CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, Ivan Nova and Masahiro Tanaka) threw their bullpen sessions, and they did PFP (Pitchers Fielding Practice). Best to practice and make mistakes now instead of during the season.
– The catchers did batting practice today. Unfortunately there were no reported batting practice home runs.
– Hiroki Kuroda spoke very highly of Masahiro Tanaka and believes he could be an amazing pitcher down the line.
“He’s bound to become a staff ace for the Yankees. He’s on his way.”