Derek Jeter currently leads the American League Shortstop category with 602,525 votes, but he’s not the only one in the Top 10 of voting.
1) Jacoby Ellsbury ranks third in the outfield category, meaning he would start the All-Star game if voting ended today.
2) Brian McCann is second in the catchers category.
3) Carlos Beltran (who is on the DL) is fourth in the outfield category.
4) Alfonso Soriano is fourth in voting as the DH for the American League. Obviously, the National League doesn’t have the DH category since the pitchers hit for themselves.
5) Mark Teixeira is fifth in the first base category.
I can’t say I completely agree with where the Yankees players ranked: From what I’ve seen from Ellsbury so far, especially in the month of May, I don’t think he’s the third best outfielder in the Majors, I felt Mark Teixeira should have ranked higher and I think McCann should be lower considering his bat hasn’t been very good to begin the season–I can say that McCann calls a good game behind the plate.
I have to say I’m very surprised that neither Brett Gardner nor Ichiro Suzuki were in the Top 10, especially Ichiro. As a lead-off man, Gardner has 22 RBI’s to this point, which you don’t really expect from your lead-off hitter and Ichiro has played brilliantly this season, although he hadn’t had much playing time to work with in the past; he has been playing recently now that Beltran is on the DL. Obviously, I don’t expect Gardner or Ichiro to start the All-Star game, but if they keep playing the way they are, maybe they sneak on the roster as reserves?
I know Derek Jeter will be a lock to play in the All-Star game, considering it’s his last year, but I’m usually conflicted with the fans voting in the players. While it’s nice to have the fans involved in the process, once it’s in the fan’s hands, it becomes a popularity contest rather than who actually deserves to go to the All-Star game.
It will be interesting to see where these players rank when the second update comes out, and it will also be interesting to see if their numbers can justify their rank.