Report: Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to Yankees for Peter O’Brien

Martin+Prado+Chicago+Cubs+v+Arizona+Diamondbacks+jBP7YuGvkDpl

It’s after the trade deadline…but the Yankees made another trade!

Joel Sherman has reported the Yankees have traded Martin Prado to the New York Yankees for Yankees prospect Peter O’Brien. Prado is expected to give the Yankees infield depth along with Chase Headley and Stephen Drew.

With the acquisitions of Drew and Prado, here’s a new question: Where does Brian Roberts fit? That will be a question for another day.

This entry was posted in Transactions, Yankees News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Report: Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to Yankees for Peter O’Brien

1. michael says:

Good move by the Yankees you'll see very little of Brian Roberts maybe the Yankees release him.

2. hotdog says:

reasonable trade…Prado is an upgrade…O'Brien looked promising but he fell off this year…

3. This is a decent trade, but don't expect much from Prado. he's hit .270/.317/.370 this season and .287/.339/.413 since 2012. He's basically a league average hitter that can play multiple positions and is under contract through 2016. $11 million a year, to me, is too much for a player like him, but I guess that's what you pay for reliable versatility.

I wish they didn't give up O'Brien for him, but at least it wasn't multiple prospects and, while O'Brien has had a TON of power at the plate, he is only hitting .267 with a .312 on page percentage. He has never had a high OBP except when he was in Low-A ball. He struggled with State Island too. He's got one really strong tool, but the others are lacking.

• gcorcoran says:

Couldn't agree more. I don't think Prado is going to change much for the Yankees. Personally, I wouldn't have given up O'Brien for him. I don't think O'Brien, however, is a huge loss and I Prado is valuable if deployed properly, as a utility man and nothing more. Also agree tha $11 million is way too much to pay a guy like him.

Hopefully O'Brien doesn't make the Yankees pay for giving him up. I have a feeling he'll hit 30 homeruns in the majors someday, even if his average is .230 while doing so.

4. tom says:

Ah… Prado's contract is good for thru 2016 so he may be a full time starting 2B next 2 years if Arod and Beltran would play on the field in those years. Refsnyder is buried for now.

• hotdog says:

i hate the idea of holding Refsynder back because of Arod or Prado…i hope the Yankees allow Refsynder to win a spot…i imagine he'll get his chance…

• Prado can, and likely will, play multiple positions so I don't think he's necessarily a problem for Refsnyder.

• tom says:

Refsnyder is buried for now because a newly fresh team would rather to play Prado at 2B instead of moving him around defense in favor of inexperienced 2B for 11m.

Jose Pirela could be suggestively added to 40 man next season so he could be the first one to spell Prado out at 2B.

I won't worry about it because there is a good chance that Beltran could be a full time DH next year because I don't think Yankees sign him a lengthy contract to be our everyday RF throughout the contract. He is 37 years old for peter's sake.

5. Robert Rufa says:

At least Headley, Prado, and Drew aren't close to retirement age.