Report: Yankees trade Yangervis Solarte to Padres for Chase Headley

Chase+Headley+New+York+Mets+v+San+Diego+Padres+_XXwPf4Qh_Hl

Chase Headley? Welcome to the New York Yankees.

The New York Yankees have acquired Chase Headley from the San Diego Padres for Yankees third basemen Yangervis Solarte and Class A Pitcher, Rafael DePaula. The Padres will pay $1 Million off Headley’s contract.

In 77 games with the San Diego Padres this season, Headley is hitting .229 with 7 home runs and 32 RBI’s.

This entry was posted in Transactions, Yankees News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Report: Yankees trade Yangervis Solarte to Padres for Chase Headley

1. BArryZ says:

I wish the Yankees would stop sacrificing the future chasing a ghost this season

• another John says:

They need a 3b going forward (I'm conveniently ignoring A-Rod) and Headly is a reasonable age and be signed to a reasonable extension. At least we won't have to endure Kelly Johnson at 3rd any more. I'm not sure how good DePaula is, but I have a feeling Rob Abruzzese is going to have a kitten about this trade.

• hotdog says:

I have not heard that the Yankees are signing him to an extension…he would not be a bad risk at a short term rate but I don't know if the Yankees are thinking extension…i wonder what the Yankees will do with Arod next year…play him or pay him…

• another John says:

I left a word out. I meant to say he could be signed to a reasonable extension.

• SIJack says:

Solarte and DePaula aren't exactly the next Core Four.
      I'm all in favor of rebuilding, but we Yankee fans are going to have to live with a few years (at least) of the same crappy Yankee baseball I watched in the late 60's.
      The team needs a ground up rebuild both in players and philosophy to make it work. Free agency is not going to be a savior anymore since many teams are now locking up their young stars. Just be thankful we didn't sign Cano for 10 years. Seattle will hate the last 5-6 years of that deal.

• hotdog says:

I don't know about that Jack…Cano is a very good hitter for average and those kinds of ballplayers fare well down the stretch compared to pure power hitters…i think you give the cream of the crop these types of deals but the Yankees have had some pretty bad fortune with the long contracts…i believe Robinson Cano, and his easy approach to the game, will fare better than others in the last 5-6 years of his contract…

• another John says:

Tex used to be a very good hitter for average.

• hotdog says:

but if you look at Tex's swing, he's all power…by comparison, Cano just flicks the bat…i'm not sure what happened to Tex but his bread and butter is his power…it looks like Seattle has a different approach with Cano…he's not hitting the long ball as much but his batting average is considerably above his lifetime average…

• tom says:

upper cutting always is inconsistent when you try 290 avg or better annually.

Cano is a natural hitter but he happens to have solid swinging for hard drive that would be home run in AL East parks.

2. hotdog says:

a rental for 2 months plus (I hope) for Solarte and DePaula…i think the Padres made out…lighting in a bottle mentality…a .229 hitter with not much power, striking out as much as he does is not my idea of improving the offense…i believe he is a good third baseman though…at least the Yankees are not moving their top prospects at this point…this one is a head scratcher imo…

• another John says:

He hit 35 homers just two years ago. The cost was one guy who was getting old for class A and another guy who they picked up as a minor league free agent. Maybe it is lightning in a bottle, but the cost was cheap enough.

• hotdog says:

…i believe that was the thinking but he has not shown that kind of power in his career with the exception of 2012…i'm not sure if Solarte would have been a free agent after the season though and I thought people liked De Paula…with Tex ailing it might help…

• hotdog says:

ok, Solarte would still have been under the Yankees control until 2019…sorry but this was a dumb deal…give me the Headley we saw in 2012 and you got something maybe but we gave away too much imo for a short term rental .229 hitter who strikes out 140 times a year…he hits a home run every 10 games or so…no, we didn't move a guy like Sanchez or Refsynder or Severino but we didn't move a "player to be named later" either…that's what I think Headley is worth, a player to be named later…explain to me why he'd be worth more…

3. tom says:

Even though I am sour on losing DePaula, Yankees lose nothing. Headley should play at 3B with Wheeler platooning Suzuki at RF.

Headley usually has stronger 2nd half so I hope his back issue doesn't pull him down.

I doubt Yankees will sign him to an extension at any point.

4. michael says:

Let's not go too crazy with Headley. Yes he is a nice player but also he his hitting .229 having a down season. Plus he is a pending free agent after this season, so the Yankees are pretty much renting him. Also a bit injury prone as well.

5. This is a risky deal, but I like it. I'll post tonight with my thoughts.

6. Michael R says:

Since they are definitely still in the hunt Headley will provide the defensive stability they've needed at 3rd base. Hopefully he will get hot with the bat and spur the offense, but my gut feeling tells me this team won't get where it wants to be, regardless. Over the long haul, a bad move I think. Baseball is a young man's game. !62 game season exacts a terrible toll on the body, as we've seen. Solarte was a "real find" for awhile until he cooled off, which we all knew would happen. Even Mantle returned to the minors after his initial stint with the Yanks. While I know Solarte is no Mantle, I think he's going to be an effective big league player nonetheless. I would have kept him.

• hotdog says:

I might have liked the deal better if Headley was signed for an extra year or two…i agree with your assessment of Solarte…it might have taken him some time to reach the majors but if given a full season with the Padres, I think he will produce…Yankees just didn't have the patience in the middle of a pennant race…as Rob said, it's a risky deal…would like more of your thoughts on that Rob…hd