Yankees have not yet discussed extension with David Robertson

David Robertson

For the first few months of the season, the main story had been David Robertson replacing Mariano Rivera as the Yankees closer. However as the offseason comes a little closer, the Yankees and David Robertson have yet to start making contract extension negotiations.

“I try not to worry about it because, to be honest with you, it’s so far away right now,” he said. “I’m more focused on what we’re doing here.

“This offseason, my numbers from this year are going to count, so why focus on what’s going to happen then instead of what’s happening now?”

Does Robertson want to come back to the Yankees next season?

“Yeah. We’ll see what happens. There haven’t been any talks, so we’ll see.”

The Yankees usually are this way with their players, where they let them go into the free agent market without a contract extension, the rare exemption being Robertson’s teammate Brett Gardner who recently signed a four-year, $53 Million deal this past winter. Robertson has done a phenomenal job for the Yankees as Rivera’s successor and his 53 K’s and 2.79 ERA tells part of the story. He admits being Rivera’s successor is a life changing moment, but it’s also his job since Rivera’s not here anymore.

“He’s not here, so somebody’s gotta do it,” Robertson said. “I haven’t really thought about it much. I just think of it as doing the same thing I’ve been doing since I came to the Yankees. I was throwing the eighth inning for a long time and I’m trying to do what I did then in the ninth.

“The only difference is when I get my three outs, that’s the game. I don’t get them, we lose.

“I try not to overthink anything.”

Well, Robertson is doing just fine, and in my opinion, the Yankees should offer Robertson a contract extension. You don’t just let one of the best homegrown arms in your Yankee bullpen slip away.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Yankees have not yet discussed extension with David Robertson

1. JackL says:

Agreed! I think it would be a very big mistake to lose Robertson to free agency. He wants to stay, the Yankees need to make it happen.

2. another John says:

John Wetteland was a great closer on the 1996 World Champ Yanks. But they had an incredibly dominant set-up guy named Mariano Rivera, and let Wetteland go. It was a rare opportunity to go with a cheaper guy and they'll probably do it again. The only way Robertson will be the closer next year for the Yanks is if he takes the qualifying offer.

3. mike c says:

Robinson has done a great job. Not only has he responded to the pressure of closing but also replacing the greatest closer of all time

4. fisher says:

40 games is not enough to convince me that Betances has what it takes to be the closer of the future. Yes, he's been great, but can he keep it up – and – from a TJS paranoia perspective, will his arm hold out? I'd stick with Robertson as closer and keep Betances as setup man. They're a great 1-2 (or 8-9) punch.

• Shirley L.Hans says:

I agree completely. Betances has been great, but he has not yet developed that "ice water in his veins" demeanor that Mo had and that David has developed. The Yankees would be nuts to let this young man go. Shirley

• Gary Mank says:

Agree wholeheartedly. If this is how he responds on a year replacing the Great Rivera, how will he do when that pressure is gone, because he has proved himself?

5. olie says:

Why not try something different. Maybe the yanks should be sellers! Robertson is having a good year in Pen but looks to be blocking Betances. The return for Robertson may never be better, perhaps a couple of young arms or a Starter down the road. While we at at it why not trade Gardner (Delia will love this). He is having a good season but he is playing a corner position which is normally a power hitters slot. The Yanks already have Ellsbury who is better and a natural leadoff hitter. Again Gardner is having a good season and lots of teams would like to have him. What could Yanks get for him?

• Gary Mank says:

Only if they are not going to try to get him back? If that is the case, don't lose him for a draft choice. I say sign him to a three year deal and have Betances as the setup man..

6. Balt Yank says:

What about giving DROB a three year deal. If Killer B is ready afterward, great!