It’s easy being Greene in 1-0 victory over Tigers

Shane+Greene+Detroit+Tigers+v+New+York+Yankees+I2CWxeu2wYEl

All right, let’s have a poll: if any of you thought Shane Greene was going to pitch a 1-0 shutout against the Detroit Tigers, raise your hand. I’m going to assume no one can raise their hand because not even I saw it coming. Shane Greene pitched a gem, giving the Yankees a series win against Detroit at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, New York.

The Yankees lone run came in the fourth when Carlos Beltran singled, Chase Headley singled and Stephen Drew hit an RBI double, scoring Beltran.

Greene went eight innings, giving up no runs on five hits, walking three and striking out five. Greene was relieved for David Robertson in the ninth after giving up a lead-off single where Robertson got Miguel Cabrera to ground into a double play and Don Kelly to pop out to Stephen Drew.

What’s Next?

— The Yankees are slated to face the Indians for three games…and although I would like to tell you who’s starting for the Yankees, I can’t…because the Yankees haven’t announced the starter for Friday. I can tell you first pitch is at 7:05 p.m. and the game will air on the YES Network.

This entry was posted in Game Summary and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to It’s easy being Greene in 1-0 victory over Tigers

1. tom says:

Greene rocks. Thanked to his superior quality start, Yankees don't have to make a 25 man move for Mitchell tomorrow. Whitley should get a starting nod with Rogers as a long man.

What Cy Young club? Yankees' rotation totally torred.

• tom says:

What??? Yankees made stupid move. Rogers to start and mitchell replacing daley for tomorrow BS,.

It makes ZERO sense.

2. Thomas says:

I don't think that anyone would have thought that we have won 2 less games than the Tigers, so far this year!
    If they go .500, they will equal last years wins. After losing 4 members of their starting rotation, I would not have seen this coming. I thought that they were done after Tanaka got hurt.

3. Thomas says:

I can't believe that his first time in Tampa A+ he had a 4-7 record with a 5.22 ERA in 23 starts in 2012.

4. Colonel Walter Kurtz says:

Who knows if he can keep this up. But his stuff is "nasty", and he may be the next guy who shows that scouting, and "expert lists" are very much a crapshoot…….. Really, it's amazing when you go back and see how many "can't miss" pitching prospects, "do", and how many guys come out nowhere, and have fine careers. People tend to have short-termed memories, and huge confirmation biases. Again, though, it's waaaaaaaay early…..

5. Michael R says:

A little off the subject, and not being much of a Girardi, fan I laud his handling of the pitching staff. For this team to still be contending for a play off spot is a credit to his managing. It probably won't happen, but at this point he deserves strong consideration for manager of the year.
    Also, does anyone know what the Yankee record is for one run victories in a season?

6. Robert Rufa says:

If they continue to perform well, Greene, McCarthy, Capuano, and even Whitley will deserve to be in the running for the opening-day rotation next spring–and maybe NY would even be able to try Yu Darvish's idea of a 6-man rotation.