Shane Greene felt like he was “dumped” by Yankees

Shane+Greene+Chicago+White+Sox+v+Detroit+Tigers+3nTFxDr3EEvlAfter getting a glimpse of what Shane Greene could do last season, the fans figured Greene was going to be a fixture in the Yankees rotation or at least compete for the fifth starter spot with Ivan Nova out until June. Then, rumors started happening and ultimately the Yankees traded Greene to the Detroit Tigers to get Didi Gregorius from the Arizona Diamondbacks. It was business as usual for the Yankees, but in Greene’s mind, it felt more like a break-up.

“I felt like I got dumped,” Greene said to the New York and Detroit media following last night’s 2-1 loss to the Tigers. “I looked at myself in the mirror, put a chip on my shoulder and went from there.”

Since then, Greene has went 3-0 with a 0.39 ERA to begin the season. The Yankees won’t face Greene this week (thank you!) but they know the kind of pitcher he is while at the same time admitting how difficult it was to part with him.

“Any time you let a young starting pitcher go, I think it’s difficult,” Joe Girardi said. “But to get an everyday shortstop, those don’t just fall out of trees. To get something, you have to give up something.”

While Gregorius has struggled to begin the season, Greene has thrived, and he credits the Yankees trading him in giving him that push he needed to succeed.

“I knew at that point in time my trade value was probably at its peak,” Greene said. “If they were going to make a move, I was probably going to be one of the pieces. … I know it’s a business. I’m not a complete idiot, so I knew if something was going to happen, my name would be at least talked about with the situation over there. I’m excited to be here, and that’s all that really matters.”

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Shane Greene felt like he was “dumped” by Yankees

1. Jim says:

Another epic fail from Cashman

2. mick says:

I like Greene, he's a solid young pitcher, probably pitching a bit better than he really is, right now. I hope he does well anytime he is pitching against an AL East opponent, or any non-Yankee entity. It was a good trade for the Yanks because it produced a solid young shortstop and an everyday player. Great game last night, just seems the ball is bouncing the wrong way. Felt bad for CC, but still a great effort.

3. Balt Yank says:

Right now we still have some nice young pitching coming up: Mitchell at Triple A, Severino at Double A, Whitely as good spot starter at Triple A, and Nova coming back from TJ surgery next year or June (?). Then we have that $5 million Capuano lefty for back-up.

4. YankeezFan says:

Well its debateable whether Didi will ever be anything but a left handed platoon player at SS. If the beginning of the season is any indication, he's a work in progress, while we gave up a player who is farther along in his progression and could get better. I just love the Yankee fans who discard the ability of Greene because he's not with the Yankees anymore. He's at least a #3 starter and possibly a #2. Thats what we gave up…… for a platoon SS, who is now struggling to hit righties. Thats how i evaluate this trade at the moment. Will Didi get better? He better or he's going to find himself on the bench or somewhere not on the field at Yankee stadium

5. Robert Rufa says:

He was dumped. He stepped up and was dumped. Same with Robertson, Suzuki, and Cervelli. All contributed, all dumped. I love the Yankees, but I sure hate the management. Are they on Boston's payroll or something?

And Gregorius an everyday shortstop? We've yet to see evidence of that I still think it would have been smarter to put Drew back at SS and either keep Prado or find a second baseman. Hell, they have a capable SS in Drew, so what do they do? Move him to second and look for a SS, give up a good pitcher and a versatile position player in the process? Does that make sense?

6. I completely understand where Greene is coming from. He proved that he can perform in New York where Didi has not. Some situations you have to pass on even if it is a position of need. Why was Detroit even involved? This should have been a two team trade and if the Yankees had to give up more to retain Greene then that would have been the better choice. They also could have just resigned Drew for shortstop and try for a better deal down the road. Detroit fleeced the Yankees, no other way to describe what happened. This was not a good trade for New York.

7. Balt Yank says:

I agree; it is odd we traded Greene for a fringe SS project who had trouble hitting in the NL, but I bet the Yankees were simply thinking they'd have to pay $10 million to Drew if Boras/Drew knew Drew was so needed. At the same time, the Yankees need not have offered Capuano $5, signed Drew for 5-10, and probably signed Capuano (if necessary) for $1 million or less. Both players are lucking to be playing. I am please to see Drew hit with power. Now he must hit 250 or better.

8. Thomas says:

Wow. Last year at this time almost nobody knew who Greene was, now he is "Roger Clemens". Matt Tracy was dumped, Greene was traded for a possible replacement at short, where the Yankees didn't have anyone in the minors at ss in aaa or aa. The only reason he came up and pitched last year was because of injuries. He may end up being a good pitcher or he may not. DiDi may end up being a good ss or not. It was a fair trade.

• I don't think anyone really ever mentioned Greene's name in comments on this site once, ever, but now suddenly he's the prospect the Yankees let get away.

• YankeezFan says:

Well your wrong there Rob.. I was questioning the trade from day one, just check some prior posts, It just made no baseball sense, as the trade was really combined with the Evoldi trade, and you had to look at both of those trades together with the signing of Headley. Overall, the Yankees will be what they are, but in my opinion the could have been better. But we will never know what Greene could have been like in a Yankees uniform. Maybe he gets complacent in his second year, like so many other young players and get hit hard. But the only comparision we have is what he's doing in Detroit, and it far better than anyone expected, at this point in time.

• I was talking about more when he was a no-name prospect. But, to your point, the trade made perfect sense. The Yankees had a number of No. 5 starting types and no shortstops. So they traded from an area of depth for one of need.

This re-writing of history, pretending the Greene was more than he is, is tiring.

9. guest says:

I followed Greene from when he was drafted…he always had amazing movement on his pitches that would play up once he got to the majors…

10. Tom says:

Green showed last year that he has the stuff to be a difference maker but that does not have anything to do with what will happen with Didi, you can see his arm and fielding ability and I wish they would bring in someone who was a good punch hitter to show him how to slap the ball and get hits, if he can just hit .250 the Yanks will be fine. It is so early in the season let's just give the kid a chance he is not Jeter but let's be honest, neither was Derek the Jeter we knew last year..

11. WyomingGrizFan says:

The question now is, just how soon is Greene a Free Agent?

12. Balt Yank says:

I don't think you have to be on the Greene bandwagon to question the trade. It's not a terrible trade per se, just a gamble on Didi. It is odd that the Yankees who have developed maybe Nova in the last five years as a start, and that's debatable that Nova even counts as developed, would let a lucky find like Greene go for a prospect struggling to hit in the NL. Many Yankee mgmt decisions are debatable these days. For instance, Prado at 3B hitting 300 this year and next is far better than Headley for the next four years who will probably average 240. Weird move adding more liability, more risk, and frankly, more mediocrity.

• Lucky find? Adam Warren and Chase Whitley are/were both ahead of Greene in their development.

• YankeezFan says:

Whitley and Warren may have been ahead of Greene according to Yankee scouts/mgmt, but lets face it they were way behind him as a starter last year. Whitley barely finished 4 innings last year, and Warren was never considered for starter role, so i dont know how you can say that he was behind as a starter? That's just a guess on your part, the facts don't support your guess.

• YankeezFan says:

I think what i hate most about trading Prado, was his attitude, it appeared that the guy had a great desire to play the game with a lot of passion. Maybe he rubbed some of the Yankees in the clubhouse the wrong way, no one knows, it think that's what the Yankees lack most of at the moment, guys that get fired up to play.

13. mock says:

Agreed. Chris Ypung is playing as well as anyone could ask. I really like his approach at the plate.

14. Balt Yank says:

Rob, don't get your point. A) Greene was non prospect almost no one heard of; B) Greene pitches well in MLB for 100 innings or less; A + B = C) Greene is a "lucky find." Makes sense to me.

15. kick says:

Using the logic of some, the Cy Young Award should now be changed to the Aaron Small Award. Greene makes Smalll the greatest Yankee pitching prospect of all time.

16. Balt Yank says:

Maybe the Aaron Small award should go along with the Kevin Maas award for the best-home run slugger in a quarter-season sample.

17. mick says:

Precisely my point. Greene is doing well, and I'm happy for the kid. However, three games do not make him Cy Young.

Comments are closed.