The final competition in Spring Training has seemed to have ironed itself out, with the Yankees choosing John Ryan Murphy over Austin Romine as the back-up catcher. Romine, who is currently out of options, has been designated for assignment, meaning the Yankees have a few days to either trade him or take the chance and pass him through waivers. The decision for the back-up job wasn’t easy as stated by manager Joe Girardi.
“I said this was going to be a really tough decision,” Girardi said. “Austin was prepared. Worked extremely hard this winter to earn the job. And he had a tough camp. It’s hard, because he’s been with us a long time and there’s feelings for the kid and you want to see him do well, but it’s just the nature of the game.”
— The Yankees also made the following moves after today’s game against the Washington Nationals.
- Selected INF Gregorio Petit to the 25-man roster.
- Placed INF Jose Pirela on the 7-day concussion disabled list (retroactive to 4/2).
- Placed INF Brendan Ryan on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to 4/1) with a right calf strain.
- Placed RHP Chris Capuano on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to 3/27) with a right quad strain.
- Placed RHP Ivan Nova on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to 3/27) with right ulnar collateral reconstruction performed on 4/29/14.