Yankees fall to Marlins 2-1

Masahiro+Tanaka+New+York+Yankees+v+Miami+Marlins+uiI2ygI1MjCl

The Yankees played the first of two games in Miami Florida, sending their ace Masahiro Tanaka to the mound to face the Marlins. However, the Yankees offense wasted a great pitching performance by Tanaka, sending the team to a 2-1 loss at Marlins Stadium in Miami, Florida.

Their lone run scored in the second inning on a Mark Teixeira home run.

Masahiro Tanaka pitched seven innings, giving up two runs on nine hits and striking out six. Jose Ramirez entered the game but loaded the bases, prompting Joe Girard to go to Sergio Santos, who got all three outs in the inning.

What’s Next?

— The Yankees play the series finale against the Marlins before they host Miami in New York and they’ll do so by sending ex-Marlin Nathan Eovaldi to the mound. To counter, the Marlins will send ex-Yankee David Phelps against his former team. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m. and the game will air on the YES Network.

This entry was posted in Game Summary and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Yankees fall to Marlins 2-1

1. David K. says:

Did you see that Marlins reliever Carter Capps in the 8th inning? That's the first time I've seen him and I have never seen anything like that in almost 40 years of watching major league ball. He jumps off the rubber and then throws the ball. That's illegal or it should be made illegal. If they say it's legal because he's dragging his rear foot just as he throws, that's bull shit. He's throwing the ball with his rear foot several feet in front of the rubber. He looks like an angry rabbit throwing a javelin.

• mick says:

David…….I totally agree. They can say what they want about "dragging" his foot, but when he throws his fastball, and you slow it down to a frame at a time, he re-plants that back foot, and pushes again.

• tom says:

I got familiar with him some time. His distance is much similar to David Robertson but he can dial up to 98 mph. That is scary. MLB made it clear that his hopping is legal as long as he does not stop and regain the form outside the rubber prior to release ball.

• mick says:

tom…….the MLB ruling was more about losing contact with the ground while dragging his foot forward. But, that move during his fastball, of replanting and again pushing off, has to be re-examined. As I said, if you slow it down, as I did last evening, you can clearly and easily see what I am talking about. He's moving at least an additional 18 inches closer to home plate before he releases the ball. His fastball delivery, and off-speed delivery are also different. Although he does drag his foot, he does not replant and again push off as one normally does from the rubber.

• tom says:

This "re-plant" didn't create a stop and regain aka push off again. It is impossible to do second push off without any elevation from original push off (rubber). If he indeed did stop and regain (secondary push off) then it would be illegal due to a possible elevation.

I did not watch him pitch yesterday so it is difficult to know whether or not he elevated in that game you had witnessed but I am pretty sure he did it in subtle way somehow. 1B or 3B umpire has to pay attention to that to ensure he pitches legally.

Remember the mound has a downward incline toward home plate so it is possible for him not dragging on dirt all the way. Just stay the level of top mound or lower.

• mick says:

tom…….I did watch the game, I even reviewed the video. Otherwise, I would not have commented that he pushed off the second time. But, thanks for that input. It obviously was not 'impossible' since I reviewed it.

2. Scott says:

Bottom line is they can't lose to these crappy teams . They have and better against the good teams. Not going anywhere if you can't beat that bad teams

3. tom says:

I am really DISAPPOINTED in Jose A. Ramirez. Come on Altagarcia, Be Reliable.

4. Robert Rufa says:

I think Girardi may have made a mistake by not finding a way to get A-Rod into the lineup. I'd suggested a couple of times that he be given a shot at right field. If he can't, he can't. Well maybe Tex could and A-Rod could cover 1st. Not like it would happen often, but hell–every win is important.

Comments are closed.