Here are a few minor league notes surfacing around the Yankees organization this afternoon.
— The Yankees have announced RHP Nick Goody, OF Jake Cave, 3B Eric Jagielo, RHP Eric Ruth and C Gary Sanchez have all been selected to the Eastern League All-Star Game. Here’s a quick rundown on how each player has performed over the first half of the season.
- In 27 games with the Trenton Thunder, Nick Goody is 1-1 with a 1.62 ERA and a 1.060 WHIP in 38.2 innings pitched. Goody’s had his secondary pitches working for him, notching 52 strikeouts over the first half.
- In 72 games with the Trenton Thunder, Jake Cave is hitting .281/.353./366 with 2 homers and 21 RBI’s. Cave has shown more patience at the plate, working 31 walks in the first half alone. The most walks he recorded in an entire season was 46 in 132 games.
- In 58 games with the Trenton Thunder, Eric Jagielo is hitting .284/.347/.495 with nine homers and 35 RBI’s. Unfortunately, Jagielo will most likely be ineligible to play in the All-Star game after Trenton doctors found loose bone bodies in his knee. The bone bodies will most likely require surgery and will keep him out for a while.
- In 11 games with the Trenton Thunder, Eric Ruth is 5-1 with a 1.97 ERA and a 1.109 WHIP in 62 innings. Despite being a great pitcher for the Thunder, the one thing he could work on is control. He’s already allowed 26 walks this season.
- In 47 games with the Trenton Thunder, Gary Sanchez is hitting .251/.302/.422 with eight homers and 29 RBI’s.
— In other news, the Yankees have announced they will call up OF Taylor Dugas from Double-A Trenton. The Yankees have been playing with a short bench and due to the injury of Carlos Beltran, the Yankees wanted an extra man in case Beltran couldn’t play tonight. The ideal option would have been Ramon Flores, but since the Yankees haven’t put Beltran on the disabled list, the team can’t recall Flores. A player who has been optioned has to spend at least 10 days in the minor leagues before being called up. However a player can be recalled before the 10 days if anyone on the Major League roster is injured.