CC Sabathia wants to pitch four to five more years

C+C+Sabathia+New+York+Yankees+v+Miami+Marlins+e7CzAHHBqXMl

With CC Sabathia‘s current contract set to expire at the end of next season, many think CC could hang up his cleats and ride off into the sunset.

But like teammate Mark Teixeira, Sabathia plans on playing after his current contract, even if it means playing four to five more years.

“I want to pitch four or five more years,’’ Sabathia told The New York Post on Thursday afternoon at George M. Steinbrenner Field.

Sabathia feels he’s physically and mentally capable of pitching four to five more years, but only time will tell if Sabathia can accomplish such a feat, considering he’s going to be 36-years-old during the 2016 season.

“When it’s done, it’s done,’’ he said about his 15-year career, “and I can go into my regular life, and I want to be prepared for that.’’

Many are skeptical of Sabathia pitching at least four more years, but Sabathia has confidence in his pitches. Sabathia revealed recently he had been talking to former Yankee Andy Pettitte and Pettitte had been helping him develop a key pitch that could help him during this transition.

“He taught me the cutter,’’ Sabathia said. “I’m just working. It will get better. It will get there. I feel good, I’m not really worried about it. I know I will be there and I will be able to help this team.

“I’m young as far as in life, but I’m old in baseball years. You know: 16 years. But I still feel connected to these guys. I’m able to communicate with [Ivan] Nova, Dellin [Betances], Big Mike [Pineda]. I want to be around here. It’s always a lot of fun for me. I feel like the big brother to these guys.’’

As Sabathia gets older, he realizes his game has to change, and to prepare for that transition, he had been watching video of Pettitte and David Wells.

“I know if I’m healthy, I am able to pitch at any level,” he said. “I know I can figure it out and compete and pitch. We’ll just have to see at the end.

“Now it’s just a matter of getting my pitches to work. There is no more worrying about velocity,” he added. “I’ll be able to apply these new things that I am learning.

“I’m good at the spot that I am at. Let the young guys take over, and I will float in the back and do my thing. It’s not about [innings] seven, eight and nine anymore, and that’s good.’’

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to CC Sabathia wants to pitch four to five more years

1. I was hoping that the Yankees would buyout the final option year of his contract (which vest as long as he doesn't get a shoulder injury) and he either retires after this season or at least goes off to a mediocre National League team where we don't have to worry about him until Old Timers Day. Maybe the guy squeezes 2 or 3 more years out of his knee, but certainly not 4 or 5. No chance.

2. Gerry says:

If CC can develop a cutter like the one Rivera threw then Steinbrenner would be running after him with contract in hand. Time will tell. Up to now though, it appears CC is finished and is simply deluding himself.

3. hotdog says:

maybe if he considers working as a reliever…

4. Steve says:

After this season we will be more able to see how good he still is it can be! He's sober and wears that new knee brace and has gained back to me that extra beef I believe makes him stronger! But nova right now deserves that 5th spot in rotation but with the money cc makes he won't get it which might make Yankees weaker!

5. Jerry says:

It just goes to show, he's human. We all have our dreams to do more than we are capable of. He's had a great career, but it's pretty much over. I'm hoping he can get through this year. I'm also hoping Guidry and maybe Cone can pitch a couple more years.

6. mosc says:

Guy was well above repalcement level (+1.0 WAR) in 2015. You all are too harsh. Rarely is a #5 starter pulling a better than 0 WAA. Sabathia's WAA was -0.5 in 2015, about typical for a #5. He's unlikely to contend for a Cy Young or anything in 2016 but saying he should retire is equally a stretch. 167.1 quality innings in 2015 is nothing to sneeze at. He pitched well at the end of the season when many Yankees were falling apart, some extra credit there. If he was making league minimum yeah maybe it'd be more of a competition between him and Nova but lets not forget how awful Nova was in 2015 either here folks. His WAA was similar in far fewer innings leading to half the WAR. They're both candidates for a 2016 rebound but I am astonished to hear people on here talking like Sabathia should be cut. Absurd.

Not just Ivan Nova either. Rick Porcello, Matt Moore, Drew Hutchison, Chris Tillman, all dad a worse year than Sabathia in 2015 and are probably going to be starters this season and that's just in the AL East! Mark Buehrle had a prettier ERA but putting some metrics behind it would say Sabathia had the better season too, not that Buehrle wants to pitch in 2016 but he probably could if he wanted.

• Jerry says:

Sabathia has had 3 bad years in a row. It's not like he's coming off one bad year. The other pitchers are coming off one bad year or have had Tommy John surgery. And the headline is Sabathia wants to play 4 or 5 more years. It seems totally unrealistic, that's what pretty much is getting the ire of Yankees fans. Hey, I would love for Sabathia to be Sabathia again, but I don't think so. Hope I'm wrong.

7. Robert Rufa says:

Four runs in the first inning against Baltimore. How could Girardi trust him even coming out of the bullpen? They can't let him use real regular season games to work on his cutter, if that's what he's doing–he needs to figure it out in spring training or down on the farm.

8. hotdog says:

Nova could pitch back to back no hitters and he still wouldn't take CC's #5 spot away…i just don't see Cashman giving Girardi the ok to send CC to the pen…if CC struggles outing after outing during the regular season, he'll eventually be replaced, most likely due to a DL stint…i love CC and hope he has a good season but I'm also hopeful that the organization won't go too long with him if he can't be an effective starter…

9. Jim says:

It's a shame being better means nothing on the yanks and it's whoever has the bigger salary plays
    Kudos to the angels for eating almost 80 mil on Hamilton and the Marlins 22 mil on salty. Yanks need to,pass how to do that.

10. enter42 says:

Both CC and the Yanks have to know that this is headed to a complicated ending. Maybe CC made it easier on the Yanks by stating his 5 year intentions. Not many people feeling those terms. CC can hold down a bullpen spot but that would mean him being the 3rd non-closer lefty behind Miller and Shreve which just seems less likely. Just a tough spot for the team to be in early on. If the Yanks are confident that Nova is about to turn into the big right handed horse that they planned on, its no time to deny him a rotation spot. CC has been a huge part of the Yankee family for all these years. Otherwise, all else would dictate Mitchell and Nova getting the 2 spots without a 2nd thought. It would be somewhat of an injustice if Mitchell gets the ticket to AAA. Would they sacrifice Shreve's potential contributions to open a lefty bullpen spot for CC?

• hotdog says:

CC isn't going to take Shreve's job unless a lot of things go topsy-turvy…if you make Nova a reliever, i don't see the Yankees giving him a QO…if he starts and plays fairly well, he'll get one…that won't determine how they use Nova but it's something to think about…if we keep CC in the rotation, and he fumbles throughout the year, we lose the opportunity to bring the better pitcher into the rotation and we may lose a supplemental 1st round pick next year…i'd give CC two months and evaluate late May/early June unless he's getting shellacked game after game…what will likely happen is that Nova will get enough starts with our rotation's health concerns, so it may be very difficult to move CC into the pen if they need starters and I don't see Mitchell taking over that role just yet…

Comments are closed.