Andrew Miller: Girardi’s handling of pen “created a mess”

Andrew+Miller+Baltimore+Orioles+v+New+York+7FoEbVPFkQAl

Andrew Miller is the main reason why the Cleveland Indians were able to rip and chew apart the Boston Red Sox and the Toronto Blue Jays in the ALDS and ALCS. He was also one of the main reasons the Indians won the first game of the 2016 World Series.

Not only is Miller dominant on the field, but he’s also insightful off the field, which was what the Yankees appreciated about him. But while Miller liked playing in New York and respects manager Joe Girardi, he admits Girardi’s handling of the bullpen while he was there created a messy situation.

“I know when Aroldis Chapman came back to us for the Yankees this year, Dellin Betances and I were kind if up in the air about what order we would pitch,” Miller said prior to Game 2 of the 2016 World Series. “And in some instances it created a mess because we were both warming up next to each other.

I think all managers, I think Joe Girardi, Tito I’ve been lucky to have some that really handled the bullpen well. But you hate to have two guys warming up at the same time. It seems wasteful in a sense.”

Despite the plan the Yankees had for Miller, Betances and Chapman in the beginning of the year, there is truth to what Miller was saying. However, not all of the blame should go to Girardi. Most of the pitchers in the pen that weren’t Miller, Betances and Chapman were highly inconsistent, which forced Girardi to have Miller and Betances warming up at the same time. And while it was confusing, Girardi just wanted to win the game.

Even though it was confusing at times, Miller did a good job at doing what was asked of him without any complaints. And it seems to have worked in Miller’s favor as he’s now pitching for the Cleveland Indians in the World Series.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Andrew Miller: Girardi’s handling of pen “created a mess”

1. IvanIvan says:

Chapman and Betances were not "highly inconsistent" lol. What games were you watching? They were mostly lights out as well.

Girardi usually did what was necessary, he may have wanted to rest one of the 3 at times, but that entire bullpen outside those 3 was horrendous, so he always had his finger on the panic button. Miller should realize that part. However, there is also no denying Giradi does tend to overmanage at times, which needs to change.

• lpu says:

He wrote the other pitchers who weren't those three were highly inconsistent….it is to bad this misunderstanding of plainly written articles is so common. It is comical with the lack of comprehension…..even the word weren't was italacized. Hahaha

• Delia Enriquez says:

Actually, I’m a she, but thank you for explaining! Saved me a lot of time, haha.

• IvanIvan says:

Misunderstandings happen, this one happened with me skipping over the word that right before weren't. It's on me so I'll own up to it.

However, if you wanted to show off, you should have at least checked your own comment first for awful spelling. "It is to bad" makes no sense as a sentence. What's comical and ironic is trying to look smart about linguistics, but making errors like that of middle school kids in the process…lol.

2. Terry says:

I like that Miller was upfront with those comments.It gives us a look at how players think. I've always said, back end bullpen guys like their role to be defined. They're more comfortable and ready when they know when they're being used. There really is no reason to have Miller and DBets warming at the same time. Both get LH and RH batters out. Put the first one in and then warm up the second as needed. We could have a better plan with who's closing and who's set #1 and who's #2 this year. Other than the " he just needs to get some work in" scenario.

3. Balt Yank says:

Girardi seems to lack in the moment judgment. I've seen him put in one of the Triple A relief players who happens to look good that day and then just pull him for a LF/RF handed match up. No; seize the day and ride the horse! Same with starters, pulled in the sixth despite doing well, and the need to rest this bullpen more than obvious. I've noticed Miller & Killer B warming up together. I wouldn't waste their energy. Both are great. Miller is better. Pick one.

• mosc says:

Even if you look at old timers they didn't pitch well their fourth time through a line-up. I'm sick of this line of thinking. Starters and relievers are not drastically different positions. They both throw the same distance to the plate. Stop expecting guys to face 36 batters. It's not in your best interest, it's not in their best interest.

4. Mark says:

This is why athletes should stick to "we played hard," "it was a team effort," and "I just thank God for giving me the blah blah blah." Chapman was acquired for a future trade. The Yankees didn't need one, let alone two, closers. They needed bats and pitching. So, Girardi basically had two closers on a team that was barely at .500 entering the All Star break. What was Girardi supposed to do? At any rate, by the All Star break, he had worked out a 7,8,9 plan that seemed to work pretty seemlessly. At the end of the day, Girardi set the best line-up and best rotation possible, and I really like the trades – everyone is happy? right?

5. Jerry says:

I like the trades and the potential that may come from them. Miller was the toughest one to part with and we might not know how good a deal it was for a couple of years. And I'm with Cashman, you want the teams your dealing with to have a positive result, there may be future deals that you would like to make with that team. … And acquiring Chapman was genius, basically for nothing, that led to top prospects. I'm on board with all these moves. … and it's not like Miller said anything so bad, just how he saw things.

Comments are closed.