Yankees are disappointed with current rotation competition

The competition for the fourth and fifth starter in the rotation hasn’t gone the way the Yankees envisioned it.

There are five men currently battling for two spots, and the only one that’s a lock to make the roster whether he’s in the rotation or not is Adam Warren.

“Outside of Warren, who isn’t going anywhere because he can go to the pen or be in the rotation, the rest of the guys have flexibility and options,’’ Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. “Now we have two weeks to focus on that and make a decision.’’

The other members in the rotation competition have underwhelmed, especially Luis SeverinoLuis Cessa and Chad GreenBryan Mitchell has probably stood out the most from his competition, but has also been a little underwhelming.

“I hope sooner than later, but it’s not really ironing out that way,’’ Joe Girardi said. “Some guys have had some struggles. Your hope is that someone would step up and dominate, but it hasn’t been that way.

Mitchell was the latest to make a start, allowing two runs in 4.1 innings while striking out seven in a 4-2 loss to the Boston Red Sox on Tuesday night.

Girardi thought Mitchell was fine, but wished he utilized one of his pitches more.

“He was OK. You look at the line score and it was OK. He gave up some hard-hit balls,’’ Girardi said regarding Mitchell. “I thought he could have used his curveball a little bit more effectively, he had a good curveball.’’

Mitchell on the other hand was encouraged by his outing against the Red Sox.

As far as everything, I thought it was the best stuff I have had throughout the outings,’’ Mitchell said. “I actually got a few outs on the splitter.’’

Mitchell could be one of the finalists in the rotation job, but one name that quickly emerged in the rotation competition was starter Jordan Montgomery. After pitching four hitless innings against the Detroit Tigers, the Yankees want to give him a shot in the competition.

“I like him a lot,” Girardi said. “I think he’s got really good downward angle. I think he’s got deception. I’m very curious.”

He’ll start for the Yankees on Thursday against the Tampa Bay Rays in Port Charlotte.

This entry was posted in Yankees News and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Yankees are disappointed with current rotation competition

1. Jim says:

Let's hope Jordan Montgomery shines today.

2. ERIC PELLIS says:

I predict that the 2017 New York Yankees will use 30 different starting pitchers! This is the type of season to not get to worked up about who is in their rotation to start the season. Let this all play out and by the end of this season we will all know a lot more than we do now. The key word for this season is patience.

3. tom says:

Oh Please! Don't insult kids. It is not okay for kids to struggle in ST but not veterans?

As for 4th and 5th spots, I have narrowed to Cessa, Mitchell and Montgomery.

• Thomas says:

I have Warren, Mitchell and Severino

• Delia Enriquez says:

No one is insulting the kids. But the competition has been a disappointment when it’s March 23rd and the Yankees haven’t figured out who is going to win a job. Comparing the kids to ST veterans also doesn’t make sense. The veterans already have a spot so ST is about shaking off the rust. The kids don’t have a spot, so ST is their chance to prove that they deserve a spot on the 25-man roster.

• tom says:

Cessa had pitched well last year and yet he doesn't have a spot? Chad Green has 1.50 ERA this ST and Yankees are disappointed in him? Give me a break.

Severino had solid showcase in pro two years ago and did all right last ST before he collapsed into hell during last season.

Pineda has been always inconsistent but that SOB has some rust to shake off? Yea, right.

• Delia Enriquez says:

Cessa = Last season is last season.
          Severino = This season is this season
          Pineda = Already has a roster spot (!!!).
          Green = Will most likely go to the bullpen (He’s basically Adam Warren 2.0).

The favorites to win right now are Bryan Mitchell and Jordan Montgomery.

It is how it is.

4. Thomas says:

Montgomery is not on the 40 man roster, so someone would have to go or he will take DiDi's spot once he is on the DL.

• tom says:

I don't think Didi will be put on 60 day DL so Montgomery has to take someone else like Ref. Don't forget Yankees' annual end of ST trade.

Also, Wade or Tejeda or kozma or acquired inf may cause another 40r move.

It is really tough to figure out right now but having Mateo on the 25m will ease the move for Montgomery. We will see.

• Mateo is not on the active roster and he won't be, at least until he plays above Single-A.

• tom says:

Mateo was opted to minor league before Didi got injury. That could change at end of ST as Montgomery pitched well today.

If Yankees looked elsewhere for MLB experience with zero offensive upside, Mateo couldn't be any difference.

5. Jerry says:

Yankee fans are disappointed with current rotation competition, I mean no one is taking the bull by the horns and securing a spot. We all would like Severino to win one, but he has not, looks like another trip to the minors to work things out. It's really sad that we only have one starter we can trust. Quintana sure would help, but I'm guessing the price is too high. We are definitely going to need a trade or a free agent signing . I don't think we have enough coming up and that's assuming the youth fulfill their potential.

6. Olie says:

What do they expect from bottom rotation pitchers. If I were them I would be more concerned about C.C Sabathia!

7. Balt Yank says:

I can't say I agree with this article at all or many of the comments. Warren has pitched well this spring and has an underrated (these days) pitcher's must, intelligence. Severino should go to the bullpen but maybe the Yankees seem intent to ruin him. Ok. Green has a 1.50 ST ERA, what is the problem. Mitchell and Montgomery have pitched good springs. Put Warren and Mitchell in the rotation, Green and Severino in the pen, and Montgomery at Triple A for 1/2 season and then bring him up. We'll have a spot! LOL.

• tom says:

The reason Yankees have disappointed is a lack of dominating result from Severino and Mitchell. Those SP have nasty stuffs but they haven't lighted out so far.

The story about Yankees disappointing in 4th and 5th competitions is ridiculous. Do we really expect Green, Cessa or Warren to light out this ST with their non elite stuffs? The truth behind the curtain is that Yankees have problem with Severino right now.

Ah.. Montgomery won't be on season opener's roster because Yankees won't need 5th for first 3 weeks or whatever. It is almost the same time as Didi being on DL. It sounds like Tejeda could be there first before Monty starts his MLB clock.

8. I've been disappointed with the rotation for years now so I'm wondering what took Joe Girardi so long to catch up. haha. But seriously, none of these options were great so what we're left with at this point isn't great either. It's not rocket science. That's part of the reason why I was hoping that they would give Montgomery a shot. Plus why isn't Warren a more serious candidate. None of these guys look good so why not at least go with the veteran who has had success in the starter role?

9. Balt Yank says:

Rob, I 2nd your comment: right on the money. Maybe Montgomery has lightening in the bottle right now, this month, this year? Could be. I'd say there are two key attributes of a pitcher and most pitchers just have one: rocket fuel and smarts. Warren is smart. Severino is young with two nice pitches. Put the kid in the bullpen and let him mature. Pineda will never mature, LOL. Tanaka was mature in HS I bet.

Comments are closed.