Latest rumors on the Yankees search for a new manager

It sounds like the Yankees had no idea who they want as their next manager, they just knew it wasn’t going to be Joe Girardi. Here’s the latest:

The fact that they’re looking for someone to run player development before looking to add a manager shows the emphasis the Yankees are putting on the youth. The fact that they’re letting all of the coaches go will also give the head of development and the new manager a totally clean slate to run the show entirely how they see fit. I’m a fan of that. Unless there are some special circumstances there is no big reason to keep old coaches around.

Out of all of the names that are out there — it is really hard to judge some of them because most of them have no experience as an actual manager. I mean, Jerry Hairston Jr. has been working in TV. He might be a brilliant tactician, but I have no way of knowing. I guess fans are going to have to put their trust in Brian Cashman. Hopefully they work out his contract fairly quickly.

About Rob Abruzzese

Rob Abruzzese created Bronx Baseball Daily in 2008 just before graduating from Brooklyn College. He currently serves BBD as its editor and works as a reporter at the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Follow Rob on Twitter @RobAbruzzese.
This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Latest rumors on the Yankees search for a new manager

1. Lamont HunterL says:

Please for god sake pick someone who will pick a great hitting instructor, someone in the mold of the great Chris Chambliss. We need some guys to hit for a decent .300 average

2. Jerry says:

You know what really irks me, in all my years as a Yankee fan, I've never seen this team more loose and having more fun. These guys genuinely seemed to like each other. All of them. But Girardi is so intense, somehow they got past that and just one win from being in the Series. Didn't seem to affect the players in a negative way. For some reason Cashman got a bug up his ass for Girardi and out he goes. So how does anyone explain this fun loving group.

3. Terry says:

This is definitely a bold move. They finally give Joe a roster that can win and he gets within a whisker of the WS. We'll see who they pick to replace Joe but definitely a gamble here. If they were that committed to the youth, they would've found a way to retain the AAA hitting coach that went to the Twins. We all saw the positive impact he had on their young guys. I'll have to wait and see but I'm sure whoever it is, I'll second guess him just as much as Joe. Thank you for your service Joe. All in all, you did a good job

4. Sammy O. says:

They are taking a good game . When what they need is certainly not what they going to get. Mark this words a good man.needs control of the team & game. Upstairs can have the rest…. certainly not the line-up nor the game control.it hasn't work not from peewee to MLB. Get Real! It's 2017 but last I saw its the very same GAME!!! I played as a youngster.

5. Jerry says:

You know what I'm thinking, Cashman should admit he made a major mistake and beg Girardi to come back. The more I think about it the more nauseating it gets. You had the best manager you were going to get and you told him we d on't need you anymore, I'm reinventing the wheel ! We had a very successful run with you managing, but we are going to make a change, I'm not sure why, so sayeth Brian Cashman.

6. Eric P. says:

I have been saying for years that the Yanks need a fresh face and a new direction. This crap about one game from the WS means nothing in 2018. Continue to insert the kids (G.Torres, Andujar,C Adams, C.Frazier, and more). If it means taking one step back and then two steps foward, then count me in.

• hotdog says:

most Yankee fans will have a fit if the team goes backwards next year…doesn’t matter who the manager is, a step backwards won’t cut it…but i don’t disagree with you and a new manager and coaches may actually take a year to settle in with his team…

7. hotdog says:

I just hope the new manager isn’t imposed too much upon by upper management and is left to make decisions without having to resort to being a “YES” man…on field decisions have to be left up to the manager even when decisions are being considered regarding personnel moves…Cashman should work with a new manager in explaining why he’s moving men around etc., but the ultimate choice of who to put in the lineup has to be the managers responsibility alone…I’m not sure what the expectations will be with a new manager but there has to be a good working relationship between the two…

8. Jerry says:

Watching the World Series, and Roberts and Hinch the managers of these teams and the blueprints for the Yankees of the type of manager they are looking for. Not too impressive. They keep forgetting about the human elements involved. Cashman can keep looking for the perfect manager, but Brian there isn't one.

• Steve S. says:

I think there is plenty of risk in what Cashman is doing. Clearly they were very successful this season under Girardi's guidance. I didn't agree with everything he did, but he did a pretty good job of integrating the young with the old. He got the team to play hard all the time. Like you said earlier, they had fun and seemed to all get along. Nobody looked bigger than the team. I didn't think they were as good as the Indians or Astros, yet they pretty much went toe to toe with both. The players respected him. It will be interesting to see how that dinosaur Gardenhire does with the Tigers the next few years.

9. tom says:

Kevin Reese will be the player development chief. Joe Espada is with Astros now.

10. Jerry says:

Brad Ausmus seems to me to be the likely pick for manager of the names I've heard and read about. Still young at 48 , has managerial experience, 4 years I believe. And an intelligent young man who also has spent time in the Yankees organization. Seems to have an energy about him that could help. Came up through the Yankees minor league system as a catcher. He has my vote.