Stay or Go: Yankees GM Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi?

Over the next few days I’m going to introduce players, and in this instance general managers and managers, who are on the bubble of returning next season to discuss the pros and cons of bringing them back.

I thought it made sense to start at the top with Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi, who are both free agents this offseason.

Cashman is a no brainer at this point. He pulled off an impressive rebuild of the organization and, while they were mediocre at times, they were never bad. Unlike the Houston Astros, this team is not the result of losing on purpose.

On the fence about Cashman? Consider the roster. He managed to add Didi Gregorius, Starlin Castro and Aaron Hicks for almost nothing. At this year’s deadline, he managed to add a bat, two relievers, and one of the top starting pitchers on the market without giving up any of the elite major-league-ready prospects (I’m not even going to get into the awesome deadline Cashman had in July 2016).

Sure there were misses along the way, such as going after Jacoby Ellsbury instead of Robinson Cano, or trading Cano when they could have (would have been a shrewd move considering their bid was less than $70 million than what the Mariners offered). But if Ellsbury’s bad contract is literally the only bad contract left on the team that gives them a fair amount of flexibility headed to the future with a solid core.

But what about Girardi?

I’ve gone back and forth on Girardi over the years where there were times I thought he sucked, and times I thought he was great. Right now is one of those times that I’m kinda low on him, but it feels pointless to fight the inevitable — he’s coming back.

Cashman and Hal Steinbrenner have always liked Girardi and certainly never sparred with him publicly. And he doesn’t make a ton of mistakes. Sure there were more than a handful of times he could have been second guessed in the playoffs alone (why not challenge that hit by pitch?), but if you look around there are a lot of managers making questionable moves every game. He’s not the best, but there are far worse.

There is also no clear replacement. If new Marlins owner Derek Jeter (weirdest thing I’ve ever typed) had fired Don Mattingly (weirder) than I could see the tabloids making a fuss, but that doesn’t appear to be likely. I’m sure there are plenty of names out there that maybe, could fit, but New York is still like no other place.

It just seems pointless to fight the inevitable with Girardi. But I’m curious — who is out there that could fit with the Yankees if they were to replace Joey G?

About Rob Abruzzese

Rob Abruzzese created Bronx Baseball Daily in 2008 just before graduating from Brooklyn College. He currently serves BBD as its editor and works as a reporter at the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Follow Rob on Twitter @RobAbruzzese.
This entry was posted in Editorial and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Stay or Go: Yankees GM Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi?

1. Terry says:

I'm finally onboard with Cash coming back. After years of muddling, waiting out contracts etc, more than likely held back by Hal, he finally went for it! Did well at the deadline and that put us in the playoffs. Nice job! Didi is my favorite Cashman trade and signing Miller at a low rate, my favorite signing. I'd bring him back. Joe G? I really don't agree with his moves sometimes but hard to figure who would be better. He's used to NY and been successful. Hard to replace that. Bring him back slso

2. Ross Mosschito says:

A-Roid showed more prep and intelligent analysis of stats (eg better places than 2nd for Judge in the kineup) in the Fox pregame than Girardi has evidenced.

Mattingly made the final 3 last time around, without a single game of managerial experience. Why not A-Roid this time??!?!

3. Ollie says:

Keep them both. To many young players on team to expose them to a new manager!

4. Balt Yank says:

I am not a big fan of Girardi's short hook for starting pitchers. Against the Astros, Montgomery and/or Sonny Gray should have started Game 7. Using the same bullpen pillars and not those two, for instance, in relief, tired them out and we saw Chad Green, D Rob, and Kahlne implode against the Astros. He handles rookie hitters well but he can't always rush to the sure thing in pitching and have 5 inning starter approach. It can't work. I'd like a manager who looks at Sonny Gray and Montgomery as opportunities and upsides more.

• tom says:

I had no problems with his strategy. I blame Betances' struggle for weaking bullpen. Him being missed was a great loss to bullpen. Robertson was sick but Girardi used him anyway in game 6. Still, Yanks' hitting team was flat out dead in Houston so no matter who was pitching, Yankees won't win anything.

Gray and Monty lack of ace material so I don't see any manager who will allow them to go the distance in any clutch games.

5. tom says:

If Giradi is out then you can give a look at Jim Tracy or Jay Bell. David Bell or Dave Martinez may be a darkhorse candidate as Yanks' skipper.

6. tom says:

Cashman has to be re-signed without any question. he is a straight up manager who doesn't give up Yankees and finger a point toward the ownership for Yankees' struggle.

7. Jack says:

Keep Cashman and send Girardi packing. He sours on certain players and for gets who got him there . Doesn't know when to steal, hit and run, guiding young players to take a pitch! Ten yrs , one championship is enough. People forget he was kicked out of Miami because young players revolted. Should have used Ellsbury and Gray in the post season . I hope Hal is smart enough to know that a new voice is needed.Ten years is enough.

8. Nunzio says:

I never agreed how long Girardi kept his pitches in the game but I do agree his time has come , never count Out Yankees making a move to bring Mattingly back and never count out Girardi going to Miami….. Jeter may want a reunion with his old Manager and Mattingly may be the presence the team wants, just a guess but you never know how it will end up.