Yankees manager search: Carlos Beltran will get an interview

Carlos Beltran played for the Yankees from 2014 until the trade deadline in 2015 when they sent him to San Francisco in a deal for minor league pitcher Dillon Tate and two others.

He has a preexisting relationship with Yankees GM Brian Cashman, he has a reputation as someone who is good with the young guys, and is bi-lingual. The only thing he doesn’t have is coaching experience, however, he has been in the league for the past 20 seasons going back to his rookie year in 1998.

Remember, Beltran always wanted to be a Yankee. He wore No. 15 in honor of Bernie Williams, and he even offered to give the Yankees a discount when he was a free agent in 2005 before he ultimately signed with the Mets. This could be a good fit.

About Rob Abruzzese

Rob Abruzzese created Bronx Baseball Daily in 2008 just before graduating from Brooklyn College. He currently serves BBD as its editor and works as a reporter at the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Follow Rob on Twitter @RobAbruzzese.

This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Yankees manager search: Carlos Beltran will get an interview

1. tom says:

Texas Rangers.

Beltran is just fresh out of active season so how well will he handle some analytical crap?

2. Terry says:

I love all the speculation. Beltran, Boone, both would be better “ players” managers. Both have good baseball backgrounds, Yankee ties. I like both really but my question is, if there is no end in sight. Will it hurt our chances with Ohtani? He looks to be looking for assurance and commitment towards his quest of being a two way star in ML. With no manager, no hitting coaches announced. Will it handicap us? We need resolution soon. He came over early to meet with as many clubs possible. We’re not a shoe in yet and don’t discount clubs like the Twins, that have good coaching in place and can promise all the PT he wants.

• Jerry says:

You make a good point about Ohtani, what if it comes down to Dodgers and Yankees vying for his services and the Yankees are still in disarray. It's a toss up, except we don't have our shit together. And the Dodgers have a legitimate manager. You're right, this is where we get bit in the ass.
      …… Look, I'm a Cashman fan, but the Yankees apparently don't think the manager and hitting coaches are that important and maybe they are right, who knows. But this type of shit could be important to Ohtani. I don't have a problem with hiring Beltran, reading that Sabathia thinks he could do a great job, that he was like a coach on the Yankees.

3. tom says:

Nah.. I don't think it affects Otani's decision. It is all about contract. Top SP and opportunity to hit are all that matter to him now.

4. buckeyeballs says:

Bam Bam is the man-he speaks Japanese-perfect lure for Otani

• Steve S. says:

I like Bam Bam too. I think Cashman made a major mistake by firing (that's what it was) Girardi. The guy did a great job this past season. Very few if any people thought the team had a shot at the playoffs. They were projected to be an 81-82 win team or in that range. He got them out of the gate fast and held them together to make that great run at the end. After 10 years, all of a sudden he can't communicate? I'll take that kind of success and over achievement every year! Obviously Cashman at no plan. He's flying by the seat of his pant interviewing guys who are all wild cards. Would he seriously consider hiring Wedge, a guy who's been mediocre at best to be the manager? To replace a manager who had good success here? A manager who for many years operated with an aging roster and a barren minor league system. The best they could do in an emergency was a Chris Dickerson or a Dean Anna. If you see a manager often enough, you'll disagree plenty with their moves. It's the nature of the game. But Girardi held the team together through thick and thin. Year in, year out. Cashman has put a large well deserved bulls-eye on his back. Let's see who the genius picks. I don't want it to be Beltran. It's too soon. Look at Derek Fisher as an example. The guy needs to step away for at least a year.

5. Jack says:

I think the Yanks are very fortunate to have Cash as their GM . He built the Yanks back to Avery good ball club on the fly. As far as Girardi is concerned Cashman and Hal know a lot more about what's going on with the players then any Yankee fan . I personally trust them in these matters. A new manager will be named when they feel comfortable with him! GO YANKS!!!

6. Jerry says:

And now the new manager of the New York Yankees, Alex Rodriguez!!! How crazy that would be, from being shunned, and now the manager. Again I don't have a problem with it. But why Alex! You've got it made, enjoy yourself with the hottest woman on the planet. Who needs this aggravation, it's like Trump being the president, why? He had it made. I do think he ( Alex) could do it, and it would take away the spotlight from the young players who would then prosper.

• Steve S. says:

That would be Insanity, Jerry. The Bronx Zoo reborn in all its 70's splendor, lol. Circus City!!

• Jerry says:

Those were great days though??

• Steve S. says:

Yeah, they were. A different type of zoo this time around. More muted. Still a zoo though. No George. No Billy. No Reggie. No Thurman. The personalities are not there this time around. Not the same free spirited outspoken group. No Goose. No Sparky, No sweet Lou. No Craig. Even funky Mick The Quick. That was a special bunch because they hadn't won in so long. I think a lot of it has to do with language and the ethnic makeup of the players today. It's cultural to some extent. Everybody speaks a different language now. I'll tell you one thing though. The game never gets old. I love it just as much now as I did then. I love and appreciate the players and their skill sets as much as ever.