Rumors: Yankees have traded for Giancarlo Stanton

About Rob Abruzzese

Rob Abruzzese created Bronx Baseball Daily in 2008 just before graduating from Brooklyn College. He currently serves BBD as its editor and works as a reporter at the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Follow Rob on Twitter @RobAbruzzese.
This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Rumors: Yankees have traded for Giancarlo Stanton

1. gcorcoran says:

Jorge Guzman and Jose Devers. Makes me sad but Stanton is a star and fits in well here.

2. tom says:

Oh My God! braying.

I guess CC is out as well. Castro is gone. Headley next? Trading Judge for a stud SP?

AH… After this trade, Ellsbury would be 5th OF. You give up, Ellsy?

3. Terry says:

This is crazy good! Never thought it would be possible. To get a guy that good for basically absorbing his contract and a couple of not highly thought of players. That does qualify as a “Ninja Cash”. Yes we still need a starter but to add an offensive player of that caliber….Awesome!! Where will he and Judge play? Difficult to think a reigning MVP waived his no trade clause to be a DH at his age. Conventional thinking would dictate that he and Judge would be starting OFs and the others would rotate for starting time. Judge in left? He could do it. Still 5 OFs is a log jam even with the DH spot. Remember, Sanchez will get some DH time. Odds are someone doesn’t break camp with us. Anyway, welcome Giancarlo ! This summer should be great!!

4. Jerry says:

I should be giddy over this deal. It's is a great deal! But was so looking forward to all the young guys putting it together. Also I was a big fan of Castro, I know it is a great deal. What's wrong with me? It's a real great deal. I'm going to sit down now and make out a lineup, and Gleyber Torres will be in it from the start. He is the new second baseman. Hopefully Headley is gone and Andujar mans 3rd base. What do we do with Hicks? Ellsbury is never going to play. And I guess Frazier, Clint is a trade chip. Yankees are amazing!! Great deal!!

• tom says:

As far as prospect goes, Torres may be the first nod but I can see either Wade the lefty or Estrada the stick has a shot to serve as outside the middle part of the lineup for Yankees.

Too many Righties in the lineup to be projected. umm. Frazier and Bird for Votto or Votto version of 3B? who knows.

• Steve S. says:

Hey Jerry. I read your reply to me on another page. The voice of reason,lol. I know it's not the same thing, but I hated it when Labron James took his "talents" to Miami to join up with his two buddies. At least there they needed him to get over the hump. When Durant went to the Warriors that was offensive. Overkill. I read somewhere yesterday, maybe even here, that if the Yankees win one championship during the course of Stanton's contract it's worth the money and everything else. That was so stupid. They don't need Stanton to push them over the top. They could have won more than one championship during the course of that contract with the package they have now. Anyway, we'll have to see what next summer brings.

• So you won't be happy if Giancarlo Stanton wins a World Series with the Yankees? That's not enough for you? Good thing you aren't an Indians fan…or a Mariners fan…or a Rangers fan…I mean talk about spoiled.

• Steve S. says:

Rob, I didn't say that. Where did I say that? If anyone is spoiled it's you. It appears you need every shiny new toy you can get your hands on to be happy.

• Oh, I was responding to this comment: "I read somewhere yesterday, maybe even here, that if the Yankees win one championship during the course of Stanton's contract it's worth the money and everything else. That was so stupid."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be insinuating that the Yankees were pretty much already guaranteed to win a World Series and if Stanton only wins one with the Yankees it will have been a waste.

In my opinion, if Stanton wins any World Series with the Yankees this will all have been a tremendous success. Two or more would be incredible, obviously, but I'll be happy with 1 World Championship by 2027. Thrilled, in fact. Sounds like you would be disappointed with just one.

If I was off base, I'm sorry, but you should probably write out your thoughts a little bit more clearly if I'm that far off.

5. Balt Yank says:

This is an amazing deal, considering they gave up two fringe prospects and Castro with his low OBA and erratic defense is not a keeper, more like a placeholder. Hard to understand why the Marlins did it.

6. Jack says:

Way to go Cashman !!! What a great deal. Await your next moves. Hicks, Ellsbury, Gardner, Headley ,Torres all in play for starting pitching, 2B, 3B. Very interested to see what's next? The Yanks are going for it! Thanks Hal and Cash for this terrific Christmas present!

7. Balt Yank says:

I agree; it is a salary dump. Too bad we couldn't package Ellsbury and maybe an additional prospect (Cessa/Bryan Mitchell) for taking Ells "BoobooBerry."

8. Nunzio says:

Great deal yanks have the power to go for a long time , let’s play Andujar and gleybar for they will be ready to step up and our pitching staff will be winning more games because of more runs scored…. this acquisition was truly a smart move to rebuild with bomber power , way to go let’s dump some contracts and build for the future, good work Cash and those in the front office as well.

9. tom says:

I am sorry about 30m confusion. One said Yankees would get 30m if Stanton stayed with Yankees after 2020. Another one said Yankees would reduce Stanton's 25m acutal salary to 22m for 2018.

I have to ask how would Yankees deduct luxury tax for 2018 well before Stanton would make the "opt out" decision after 2020?

Is it meant for Yankees to receive 3m annually no matter what as the maximum of credit would 30m?

• Here's how it works:

For luxury tax purposes, teams use average annual value (AAV) of the entire value of the contract. For Stanton that is technically $325 million over 13 years — which works out to $25 million AAV.

Since the trade, the Marlins are now on the hook for $30 million over the remainder of the contract. That number is divided by the 10, or the amount of years remaining in the contract, because the Yankees didn't have him for the previous three years. So that works out to a $3 million AAV.

$25 million – $3 million = $22 million AAV, which is what the Yankees are on the hook for for tax purposes.

The only thing the opt out chances is how much the Marlins have to pay. It doesn't effect the AAV of the contract because it's still technically a 10-year (13-year) contract until the moment he opts out (if he opts out).

So when you consider the Yankees have removed Starlin Castro and his $8.6 million tax hit, and will likely replace him with someone at or near the MLB minimum, and they also don't need to replace Matt Holliday and his $13 million hit. So technically speaking, the Yankees payroll will be the same if they had kept Castro and signed a DH for $13 million.