Trade Rumors: Yankees interested in Gerrit Cole

Gerrit Cole, still 27-years-old, had a 4.26 ERA, a 1.251 WHIP, a 8.7 k/9 and a 2.4 BB/9 which was good for a 101 ERA+ in 203 innings in 2017. Cole is arbitration eligible this offseason and next and won’t be a free agent until two years from now.

There is a lot of debate about how good Cole can actually be. He was an ace-caliber pitcher in 2015 when he had a 2.60 ERA in 208 innings with 202 strikeouts that year, but then he dealt with injuries in 2016 and only had a 3.88 ERA over 116 innings.

If the Yankees go after Cole, it will probably cost them Clint Frazier and a top starting pitching prospect like Chance Adams plus other prospects. They would have to have faith that he would bounce back and have a year at least similar to his 2015 campaign to go all in. The upside is that he will likely only cost about $8 million this year so the Yankees could conceivably add both Cole and CC Sabathia.

About Rob Abruzzese

Rob Abruzzese created Bronx Baseball Daily in 2008 just before graduating from Brooklyn College. He currently serves BBD as its editor and works as a reporter at the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Follow Rob on Twitter @RobAbruzzese.
This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Trade Rumors: Yankees interested in Gerrit Cole

1. Terry says:

I heard there’s about 8-9 teams in on Cole. However, is is an above average pitcher with a high ceiling. Plus, that kind of move will keep us under the dreaded salary cap. I think if Frazier and Adams are the frontliners, any other prospects would be lower level. Frazier is supremely blocked right now. I would do it and put Cole in Larry’s hands. Severino,Tanaka, Pickles,Cole, Montgomery? That’s a pretty good 5

2. Steve S. says:

I would rather they integrate Adams into the rotation. He could be a right handed Ted Lilly. However, if Cashman is set on acquiring Cole, Adams would be the logical pitching prospect to move. Plenty behind him in the pipeline. And Frazier has become a spare part, if that. Just have to hope Cole's last two years were an aberration.

3. Balt Yank says:

I would give Adams a chance as pitching is never expendable. Frazier is expendable. Who knows how Severino will do this year? Not sure why the Yankees are not high on Montgomery. He was excellent last year and could have pitched longer if not so monitored. He was better than CC and often better than Tanaka until the end of the season when Tanaka flourished.

4. Jerry says:

Headley and Mitchell going to San Diego.

• tom says:

For blash? lol. Well, it helps reduce luxury tax hit. Plus, Yankees have one opening spot for Rule 5 Draft. lol. Not that a big deal but I always enjoy Rule 5 draft drama.

5. tom says:

Part of me hoped Mitchell could fare well in ST so Yankees could deal him for better return but it is too way way ahead of time.

• Steve S. says:

Mitchell just couldn't put it together here. He had some terrible injury (batted ball to the face, and ankle/foot covering first at the end of spring training a few years ago) luck. That spring training looked like his high point. I think he was primed for the rotation until that happened. That being said, he got enough chances and could never seize the opportunity.

6. Steve S. says:

I hear they're talking to Detroit about Michael Fulmer. If he's healthy, that's the guy I would want. It will cost, but the payoff could be huge.

7. Jerry says:

Cole, Lynn, Cobb, Fulmer or someone of substance would suit me fine, but my preference In that order. And I'd still want Sabathia back……. Interesting to see what the Yankees will do to start the season. Second Base is Torres to lose only if he's totally out of it in the spring. And Andujar a good shot to be at 3rd base, or maybe the Yankees convince Frazier to keep it warm for a year or two. What else? Maybe a lefty reliever and then use that international money to build up the farm a bit more.

• Steve S. says:

I would love to see Andujar open the season at third, but knowing this team as I do, I doubt he gets a clean shot at it. I think he would have to go wild in spring training. Hope I'm wrong. I don't think they'll be comfortable going in with a rookie. Now that Headley is gone, it wouldn't surprise me if they try to sign Frazier. Frazier will probably want more years (and rightly so) than the Yankees would be willing to give him. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

8. buckeyeballs says:

No interest in Cole-Nova has a better ERA in Pitt and we know how good he is

9. fuster says:

ideally, the Yankees trade a big bunch of prospects, including Frazier and Andujar (plus pitchers) along with Ellsbury to San Fran in exchange for Bumgarner, the guy with the brass balls in the biggest games. not only does cashing in their prospect chips get them that big game stalwart, it also creates additional luxury tax space as Bumgarner only counts for $11M.

and THAT leaves them space to sign either CC or Darvish