Yankees hire Aaron Boone to be their next manager

Via the NY Post:

Boone, 44, overcame the odds to win this job by virtue of a strong interview in which he apparently showcased the “connectivity” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman thought Girardi lacked. Boone was highly regarded as a teammate for his people skills, and he stayed plugged into the game through his job. He served as a media go-to guy during his playing days, though that dynamic will be challenged with his new role; it should be noted Girardi, who struggled with his news conferences as manager, once won the Baseball Writers Association of America New York chapter’s “Good Guy Award” as a Yankees player.

Cashman notified Boone on Thursday of his intention to recommend him to Yankees managing general partner Hal Steinbrenner. On Friday, Cashman and Boone’s agent Adam Katz hammered out a contract. The team likely will introduce Boone formally next week at a Yankee Stadium news conference.

Personally I preferred Hensley Meulens for his experience, and if they were going with a non-experienced guy I would have preferred Carlos Beltran, but Aaron Boone will have to do. However, honestly, at this point all of us are only speculating on whether or not they are capable for the job.

Perhaps this means that Alex Rodriguez will somehow becomes the next Yankees manager. Anyone for pickup basketball?

About Rob Abruzzese

Rob Abruzzese created Bronx Baseball Daily in 2008 just before graduating from Brooklyn College. He currently serves BBD as its editor and works as a reporter at the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Follow Rob on Twitter @RobAbruzzese.

This entry was posted in Transactions and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Yankees hire Aaron Boone to be their next manager

1. Jerry says:

AFB, this one is for you Terry, the new Yankees manager. The lack of choosing a manager was getting boring so I'm glad that's over with. I have a good feeling about Boone, from everything I've read, he sounds great. The key now is to find the right bench coach. And at least we have a manager now that Ohtani can meet. Things are looking up.

• Terry says:

True my brotha. Let’s fill out this coaching staff and get on to bigger things. What do you think about Beltran as the hitting coach? Good with young players and probably needs to start his coaching career somewhere. I think he’d be good. Bench coach? A guy like Wedge would be good but would those types take a “lesser “ role. Get on it Cash!

2. tom says:

Rob Thompson probably stays as a bench coach. He is a veteran and knows analytic crap.

3. tom says:

Whatever happens to Luis Sojo? I remember the hype for him being a potential manager few years ago before he was a failure in coaching.

4. Ollie says:

Looks like Cashman didn't want a Manager, he wanted a yes-man! I suppose Boone will be bringing Jessica Mendoza with him as hitting coach!

5. Steve S. says:

I don't care about his gift of gab, how connected he is, how personable he is, his ties to the game. If he wanted to be a manager, he should have worked in the trenches like everybody else. This plum of a job becomes available and all of a sudden he wants to become a manager. One thing this young team doesn't need is a neophyte manager. Of course I hope he does well, but I have my reservations. I thought Meulens was a better option.

• Jerry says:

Those are valid points, definitely a gamble on Cashman's part, but a gamble with a team that could win with Mickey Mouse at the helm. Once again, the bench coach could be extremely valuable. That might be the smarter decision, someone to guide Boone through the rookie inexperience.

• Steve S. says:

Yeah Jerry, he's going to need a strong old hand sitting next to him. Especially when the game speeds up. Very excited about next season. Can't wait to see how and where the pieces fit.

6. buckeyeballs says:

other than Billy Martin, has anyone ever seen a baseball manager change the way a team plays? Casey and Torre were sub par in several other places. And now GM''s do even more. So baseball mgrs are over rated
    To me its not a big deal who it is, just glad its over.

7. tom says:

What the F is wrong with you, Otani?

• Steve S. says:

I had read that he doesn't want to be on the same team with another Japanese high profile player. When I read that I just had a feeling. Seattle looks like a possible landing place. He's a unique guy in that money doesn't seem that important to him. Everything will be fine here. Now they'll almost certainly sign CC. Also opens the door for Adams and other young starters who look close to being ready. I'm still a little concerned with the outfield. Hopefully Cave or McKinney will contribute along with Frazier and add energy.

8. Jerry says:

Shocked that he knocked the Yankees out so quickly. Should have been up front about it to begin with. We'll be fine, but it would have been fun. I don't want to waste anymore time talking about him.

9. buckeyeballs says:

big mistake-would have been a legend in NY. But if you want to go back and forth to Japan frequently, left coast is so much easier. Maybe that's the driver. Cobb or Lynn would make sense

10. Balt Yank says:

Boone is an odd choice. I would have stuck with Rob Thompson. Some Triple A experience would have helped. I agree that Torre was not a perfect manager nor was Girardi. Beltran as hitting coach would be great, a natural and smart hitter.

• Steve S. says:

I see where Al Pedrique the manager at Scranton left the organization after being ignored during the interview process. Frankly, I don't blame him. That would have pissed me off too. Wake up, Cashman. He deserved the courtesy of an interview. Not necessarily the job, but an interview.

11. Jerry says:

I guess after all is said and done, and how long this process took, they could have interviewed several more candidates. But apparently Cashman had only eyes for Boone from the start.

12. Balt Yank says:

I think it shows Cashman consolidating power on some level. He has picked well recently, but I would say his overall picks have been very mediocre, including trading for AROID, resigning AROID, resigning CC, Giambi, etc. I am not sure why the Yankees are in the starter market either as they have four and rookies at Triple A. Could they have better starters, sure, but likely via trade only.

• You said a mouthful — Cashman did trade for ARod, great trade. Got Texas to pay for almost half of the contract and it only cost them Alfonso Soriano, who wasn't quite as good as ARod offensively, and he was bad defensively. He was also about to get quite expensive. Great trade.

Re-signing ARod was Hank — also ended up in the Yankees only World Series title in the last 17 years.

Re-signing CC Sabathia wasn't an amazing move, but it wasn't a terrible one. He had a few bad years, but for the past two and a half seasons he's been reliable. Didn't block anyone. Overall, not a terrible deal. Helped them avoid a potentially worse contract.

Giambi was all George Steinbrenner. The Boss loved stars and had to have Giambi who hit the free agent market the same time Tino did.

Any criticism of Cashman should come with the understanding of the circumstances.