Yankees Trade Rumors: Talks with Pirates for Gerrit Cole are back on!

Apparently Pittsburgh is now “highly motivated” to trade Gerrit Cole, but the two teams are still held up on whether Gleyber Torres or Clint Frazier is the centerpiece.

I do not expect the Yankees to budge from their refusal to include Torres in any deal for Cole. Right now it seems likely that Torres will start the year at second base or at least play two-thirds of the season there. After all, Brian Cashman did admit that the Yankees might have called up Torres last year if he didn’t get hurt and even went so far as to say the Yankees might not have traded for Todd Frazier if he hadn’t gotten hurt.

Torres is basically part of the team at this point where Clint Frazier…is the 6th outfielder and a guy who would be *nice* to keep around.

About Rob Abruzzese

Rob Abruzzese created Bronx Baseball Daily in 2008 just before graduating from Brooklyn College. He currently serves BBD as its editor and works as a reporter at the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Follow Rob on Twitter @RobAbruzzese.
This entry was posted in Yankees Rumors and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Yankees Trade Rumors: Talks with Pirates for Gerrit Cole are back on!

1. Jerry says:

That's the only reason I'd go after Darvish or another free agent, because just money is involved. I don't want to give up anybody. Not even Clint Frazier, who could replace Gardner in 2019, unless they become real creative and get Cole without their top prospects being involved. This is the hard part for Cashman, this is where he earns the big bucks.

• Manny says:

Gardner? I think that’s the least of our concerns for 2019…we could easily move Hicks to center and have Stanton and judge at the corners not to mention we have a bunch of outfield prospects in the minors still (including McKinney) so I’m pretty sure Gardner’s replaceable without holding on to Frazier…Darvish or Arrieta isn’t close to worth the money they want.

2. Mike W says:

He isn't that good of a pitcher, so I don't understand why. He's also regressed some.

3. James Dogg says:

I think keeping Frazier would be better long term, but Cashman would likely send him quickly for Cole. It is the player as commodity and plethora of outfielders. Trading Hicks is a crazy idea, with Judge and Stanton in the corners Hicks becomes so much more valuable in center, that would be possibly the best offensive and defensive outfield in the game. But if the deal for Cole includes Chance Adams, that would be a real win for Pittsburgh, and a deal the yanks will regret in 2019.

4. Balt Yank says:

I agree with Jerry, Mike and James. Gerritt Cole had a mediocre year in the NL and coming to the AL East is not a charm; rather, the reverse might be true (Nova, most recently; AJ Burnett, etc.). Even the Sonny Gray trade now looks expensive for the Yankees at least from the Yankee's perspective because they seem not to like him. Gray is better than CC and can actually pitch innings on good days. Right now, we have five starting pitchers, back ups in Chance Adams, Warren, maybe Green, maybe Cessa, for injuries, and no need to give up prospects unless for a difference maker (think Velander, think an ace). Clint Frazier may have potential but his minor league numbers do not yet warrant a starting job; he can use Triple A seasoning. I see this as obvious analysis, but, again, the Yankee management is not the best including Cashman who has made 100 trades in the last 10 years, and recently, gotten some results. For Gray, we gave up Mateo, Dustin Fowler, and James Kaprielian; let's keep what we have. (PS: I like Gray and in my mind the rotation from best to worst looks like: Tanaka, Severino, Gray, Montgomery, CC).

5. Jerry says:

Severino may be taking that number one spot if he pitches like last year. You are right about Gray, I also had the vibe that the Yankees were down on him. I really like him, I thought he pitched well and kept us in games. I'm glad he's on the team…..As for Frazier, all the things I've read about him growing up and being freakestly strong compared to his peers. I like what he brings to the table. Energy plus!!